Don’t become a road accident statistic these holidays. Follow these simple safety tips and arrive alive at your destination. Have a happy and safe festive season.
- Obey the rules of the road and carry your driver’s license with you.
- Plan the route to your holiday destination and allow yourself enough time to reach the destination
- Make sure that your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition before departure. All lights and indicators,
windscreens, windscreen wipers, brakes, steering, shock absorbers, exhaust system and tyres should
be carefully examined for faults.
- Do not overload.
- Try to avoid driving after dark if possible.
- Have a good rest before you embark on your journey.
- Take safety breaks every 2 hours or 200km. Rest, have an energy drink and continue once well rested.
- Do not drink and drive.
- Try to recognise potentially dangerous drivers and pedestrians along the road and keep well
clear of them.
- Be visible – drive with your lights on.
- Headlights should be dipped well before an approaching vehicle is within the range of the main beam.
- Always wear your seat belt and see that everyone in the car is wearing theirs.
- Drive defensively.
- Stay within the speed limit at all times.
- Only overtake when it is absolutely safe to do so.
- Maintain at least a 2-second following distance – this distance should be increased at night, in foggy or
rainy conditions and when the road is wet.
- Expect others to not be as obedient to the law as yourself.
- Avoid distractions on the road such as texting, conversations on cellular phones etc.
- Be courteous towards fellow road users – keep your temper and resist the temptation to retaliate.
- Know the emergency numbers:
Arrive Alive call centre: 0861 400 800
Netcare 911: 082 911
ER24: 084 124